Friday, September 2, 2016

My 54mm Collection

When I told my daughter that I painted these around the same age she is now (18), she replied, noting the immense number of years since I was her age "but they are so well preserved".  "Lack of handling" was my response.  So, secret to looking young, avoid contact.  There is probably some truth in that.

Airfix Collectors Kit Coldstream Guard.  Rival to Historex.
A very block style of painting.


It looks like I did a better job of this laddie, having discovered shading.


Minot - I think painted as 33rd Foot.

Another Minot, this with a worry...
The paint is flaking off the bearskin.  


This one is a Lasset, LNF3, but with a Historex flag.  No idea why I changed it.

It is one of my favourites.

I'm thinking Lasset, LNF5
Has a wicked bayonet.


Minot and I did a dreadful job on him.


Lasset, LNF4.  White uniforms are a challenge.
I think I also converted this figure from French Grenadier to Dutch.


Another favourite.
I'm guessing Lasset.


Also a fave - started experimenting with basing.  
This was one of the last figures I did before a long break...


Another one I like too.
I used Funcken as the main (and possibly only) source.


This was a present and I don't think is really meant to be painted.
So it's not.


Now we get interesting.
My mum, who loved to paint - mainly copying old masters, tried her hand with this Lasset figure.
It turned out okay.


However her attempt on this poor chap must have got her on a bad day.


A few of the figures I painted have dates on the base that indicate 1975 was my year for 54mm figures.  Having been rescued from under lead mountain they will go into my display cabinet.


5 comments:

  1. What a great snapshot of our past. Absolute love it, thanks for posting, brings back the old memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind comment, much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gosh the memories flooding back at me :o) I use to have the airfix British Riflemen plastic kits about 24 figures, painting them during late 1970's weekends....

    awesome post!

    cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  4. gosh the memories flooding back at me :o) I use to have the airfix British Riflemen plastic kits about 24 figures, painting them during late 1970's weekends....

    awesome post!

    cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, gotta keep the memories alive.

      The kit you mention might have been the 1/32nd scale soft plastic figures Airfix produced. I have a few somewhere.

      Delete